Every January, it seems like more and more people are committing to up their health and wellness game for the New Year. Inevitably, that involves some combination of a hashtag (social accountability), a bandwagon Internet workout (no offense, #KaylasArmy), and a persuasive conversation with yourself that ends in abandoning it all because, Life.
But, when it comes down to it, getting to the gym is the hardest part. So, I’ve teamed up with Equinox to bring you a short yet compelling list of tips that will help reinforce your fitness goals and motivate you to do the damn thing.
1. Make a schedule, and keep yourself accountable by creating a weekly check-in goal. Using the Equinox app, you can set a goal for the number of times you want to check-in to the gym per week. For me, this fuels my competitive side by making it a game against myself. Disclaimer: I am a very sore loser.
2. Try a group fitness class, and build a weekly rotation of your favorites. Fitness can get boring, so by changing up your routine each day, you’re ensuring that you don’t fall into the excuse trap of quitting just because you’re sick of it. And, Equinox has an incredible line-up of classes. I love Equinox’s new Firestarter class because it’s an intense 30-minute HIIT session that doesn’t waste a second of time.
3. Enlist a personal trainer to keep you accountable. Before this year, I had never worked one-on-one with a fitness professional. Leading up to my wedding, though, I worked with Rebecca Noymer at Equinox Sports Club Boston, who created an amazing program tailored to my specific needs and goals. She even gave me “homework” in the form of at-home workouts. She kept me on pace and made it clear as to what I needed to do to see results. If you like to talk yourself out of going to the gym, setting up sessions with a personal trainer will hold you accountable not only to yourself, but also to your trainer.
4. Get your fitness apparel on point. I’m an athleisure addict. Plus, there’s research that says if you look and feel good in your workout attire, you’re more likely to hit the gym (#data). I’m a huge fan of anything that sucks you in without making you feel like you’re suffocating. For that reason, I love anything Outdoor Voices, Lululemon’s All The Right Places Crop (best leggings I’ve ever worn), and a trusty (and chic) pair of Adidas Ultra Boosts.
5. Get yourself a gym that can do both. One of the many, many reasons I became a member at Equinox is the gym’s unparalleled amenity list. The promise of using the eucalyptus steam room alone is enough to get me to my morning workout. Plus, I can get a massage and a smoothie all under one roof. Equinox’s amenities are even powerful enough to get me there on a Saturday (read: an entire, un-rushed day of self-love and pampering). Yes, please.
shop the post
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.